Agent FAQs


01. If I wish to find out if my student has paid their next installment who do I contact?

Contact Accounts Receivables at .

State the following information:
· Student’s Name
· Which college enrolled
· What they are study (Course Name)

We will reply back to you in a few days.

02. If I wish to advertise in newspapers with your logos do I need approval?

Yes, we must see copy of your advertisement. Email it to

03. If I wish to do radio, TV, billboard advertising in my country can I call for support?

Yes of course, as long as there is commitment from agent side to deliver the required students.

04. As an agent what do I need to explain to students?

You need to make sure that:

  • The students read and understand the student handbook and pre-enrolment information.
  • The students understand the enrollment process, sign the application form and acknowledge the enrolment agreement.
  • You explained course requirements, course outcomes, course description, course outline, course prerequisites, including minimum English proficiency for VET enrolments
  • Students understand their payment schedule of fees & pay on the due dates.
  • You clearly explained when the course starts, what time students need to attend orientation, and College deferral policy.
  • You clearly explained visa conditions and students’ obligations.

05. If I run out all brochures and need some more what do I do?

Email to  and request brochures with full address details.

06. If I wish to become a registered agent what shall I do?

Download agent representative form, fill it in, scan it and email to

07. How long after I have signed the agreement will I get my copy of the agreement, certificate of authority and brochures to promote?

About 1 month. In order for us to authorise you to act as a college’s representative, we conduct a reference check. Please ensure that you provide details of at least 3 referees on the agent application form.

08. If I wish to arrange a student seminar in my office can I call for support for brochure etc.?

Yes, please contact your designated marketing manager or email to

09. If I wish to print your brochures in my country using your artwork what shall I do?

Email to  to request the artwork and other relevant details.